Monday, April 21, 2008

copy cat art and a dog that is smart.

So last night, at around 9:30, I sat down and began to paint. I've always loved the impressionists, but I can never manage to pull it off myself. I thought perhaps copying another impressionist's work would help me develop my own style. So............

The originial copy of this painting was done by Robert Vonnoh who lived from 1858-1933 and called this picture, "Beside the River". Unfortunately, I couldn't find the original anywhere online. With a oil paints and a sheet of watercolor paper, here is what I came up with:


I painted for 5 hours straight and, when it was finished, I finally went to bed at 2:30am. I just couldn't stop until it was done! By that time, I was covered nearly head to food with smudges of color....there's still a smudge of blue that just won't come off my elbow!

After I took a picture of it and uploaded it, I played around with the colors and thought it looked lovely in sepia tones:



So that's my copy cat art, and now for a dog that is smart. Unfortunately, I don't have one, because my dog apparantly doesn't meet all the qaulifications I set several years ago. These qualifications I set down in poem....a rather ridiculous poem, really. I think perhaps my former idea of smart dog was rather like Mr. Darcy's idea of an accomplished woman.....or not.

A Dog that is Smart
Michelle Bradburn, 2004

A dog that is smart,
Will know not to bark;
When neighbors walk
right past the house.

He won't beg at the table.
And he should be able;
To know to leave lone the shoe;
but never to let by the mouse.

A dog with a brain
Should know in the rain;
When going outside
give no fuss.

He won't chew up the hat
or chase way the cat.
And whenever it's dry;
He'll know not to kick up the dust.

A dog with much knowledge,
Should learn lots in college,
And always to do well
On his math.

He'll be good at division
and have a good vision.
And he should certainly
know how to laugh.