Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Yesterday - The Beatles

I love this song by the Beatles, but It seems so sad...I was watching it the other day and almost felt like crying. I wondered why it was so sad to me, and I realized why- Paul Mcartney, the Beatles, they had no hope! I can't help but think how the words in these song contrast so with the life that comes from Jesus. As I thought about this, the lyrics to a switchfoot song I had been listening to came to mind:

yesterday is a wrinkle on your forehead
yesterday is a promise that you've broken
don't close your eyes, don't close your eyes
this is your life and today is all you've got now
yeah, and today is all you'll ever have
don't close your eyes
don't close your eyes
this is your life, are you who you want to be
this is your life, are you who you want to be
this is your life, is it everything you dreamed that it would be
when the world was younger and you had everything to lose

Earlier I wrote about a Living Hope...a covenant made with us by Jesus as he shed his blood on the cross....if people don't know Jesus, they don't know hope! All the beatles could put their hope in was "hopefully there will be another yesterday", because the present and the future seems so dark and clouded.

As I listened to that song by switchfoot, the line "don't close your eyes", I immediately thought of Charlie, a character from Lost. He has tatooed on his arm the words, "living is easy with your eyes closed". How hopeless that is! I later found out that phrase is from another Beatles song, Strawberry Fields Forever.

People say the Beatles were the greatest band ever...that their legacy will never die. Indeed, they were amazing! their music was something incredible....yet, they lacked the one thing, the most important thing, that would secure them eternity and true joy: the salvation and hope that is found in Christ alone.

If only the Beatles knew.........this is just a bunch of babbling, but perhaps it should be a reminder to pray.....I know I need to pray more.