Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Concerning Rebellious Kitchens, Chesterton, and a Very Cute Puggle

Kitchens are strange things. A mystery, in fact, that I don't believe I shall ever understand. I devote an entire day to making our mint-colored kitchen fresh, clean, organized and spotless. Strange enough, the next day it will be a cluttered dissaster once more.


Perhaps it's due to the rebellious nature of the kitchen, or perhaps of the pots and pans that never relent to staying tucked neatly away in the cabinet but insist upon springing back out again onto the weary countertop.


Perhaps someday I will understand this mystery. Untill then, I don't mind......I find it a convenient blessing that cleaning kitchens is actually a fond hobby of mine.


I just finished cleaning the kitchen this afternoon, but I'm certain it won't be clean for long.....in fact, even now I believe I hear some sneaky spoons vaulting themselves onto the newly shined counter............oh well.


Once upon a time there was a book. It strolled leisurely around the house until one day, when I was in the mood for some mind-stirring literature, I decided to pick it up. It struggle a bit at first, trying to convince me it's words were altogether too deep and philosophical for my young mind. It took me a while, but after a rather vicious fight I had pinned the book open against the floor and tied the pages back into a sturdy hold. From the very begining to the end of the introduction, the brilliancy of the writing held me captive. Of course, I only understood about 2% of the stuff I read, but after reading the intro several times, the murkiness has begun to fade away and the witty, gleeful logic has begun to shine through....though I know I'll have to read it several times more to fully grasp it before I move on.

What is the book? It is, my dear readers, "The Everlasting Man" by Mr. G.K. Chesterton. Not an undaunting book, by any means, but surely one worthy to read and which I hope to finish someday, though it may take quite a while.

As The Boston Transcript says, "Here is the genius of Chesterton at its delightful best.....in the mood of clarity which the author creates for us, the sense of wonder and awe at the universe, at God and man, Mr. Chesterton performs a miracle which comes well in this sophisticated age of scorn."

My new teacher, G.K. Chesterton, is giving me the lesson of seeing the world as something to be in awe of, to take nothing as commonplace or stale.

"Far away in some strange constellation in
skies infinitely remote, there is a small star, which astronomers may some day discover. At least I could never observe in the faces or demeanour of most astronomers or men of science any evidence that they have discovered it; though as a matter of fact they were walking about on it all the time. It is a star that brings forth out of itself very strange plants and very strange animals; and none stranger than the men of science."

I look forward to understanding more of what Mr. Chesterton has to teach me in the days to come......perhaps you can look forward to reading what I have to say about it......or better yet, go read the book yourself! Then we can discuss it together.



This, my friends, is a puggle. I was at the pet pad when I saw him, so cute with his wrinkled face and floppy ears. A puggle is mix between a pug and a beagle......of course this picture is not the one I saw, but he looked quite like that....only mine had an even more wrinkled face........so cute! I just had to talk about him. Unfortunately, I cannot own him, but I hope he finds a very happy home:)